At last Saturday’s “Families Belong Together Rally” at the SeaTac prison, one speaker said “It’s not enough to elect Democrats when we have Democrats like Senator Patty Murray voting for an appropriation bill” that funds the ICE programs that detain and separate immigrant families. In the video, the person recording gets excited and he and others yell “Boo Patty Murray!” and “Vote Patty Murray out!”
Clearly many are fed up with the Democratic Party’s opportunism when they are responsible for setting up ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement), not to mention their complicit role in voting for the wars and free trade agreements that send misery around the globe.
The Hoffman campaign continues to provide an alternative to the twin parties of the capitalist system and have fun at the same time! Read on for the news of the last few weeks and for what’s coming up next.
• Pride weekend in Seattle was a great opportunity to spread the word about Steve’s Senate candidacy. Here’s a few photos:
• The Hoffman campaign, Organized Workers for Labor Solidarity (OWLS) and Radical Women all participated in the rally at Harborview Medical Center protesting the U.S. Supreme Court’s reactionary decision implementing “right-to-work” for all public union workers. While neither Steve nor OWLS were given the opportunity to speak, Steve’s statement calling for “workers to come out swinging” got a great response from the crowd. Read it here.
• Volunteers and Steve joined the “Families Belong Together Rally” and met many new friends and supporters among the 10,000 participants. Here’s a few more pics.
You too can be a YouTube Hoffman supporter star! Email and we’ll schedule your taping.
Where’s Steve headed next?
Steve has a busy week coming up with another taping for a video voters guide in Auburn, WA and a social meetup with the Greater Seattle Business Association (GSBA).
On Saturday, Steve and campaigners are driving to Cheney, WA to participate in the annual rodeo, [link] where Steve and his socialist feminist supporters will march in the parade. Call 206-722-2453 or email VoteSocialism@gmail.com if you would like to participate.
After Cheney, the traveling Advocates for Hoffman will visit Spokane and Tri-Cities. Steve will then go to Wenatchee for the annual Washington State Labor Council Convention where he will be a delegate for his union local.
Volunteers, Helpers, Assistants and Collaborators
• Wednesday’s Volunteer Night has lots of exciting activities. There’s a big mailing of the brochure to voters. Plus social media posting and and putting up posters around the city.
The fun begins at 6:30pm at campaign headquarters, 5018 Rainier Ave. S., Seattle, WA 98118.
• Posters available! Help spread the visibility of the campaign by putting up these beautiful posters in your neighborhood. Copies are available at the Campaign Headquarters, can be mailed to you, or you can download this PDF to print locally. Give us a call!
Doting on donations
Your contributions are keeping the campaign loud and visible. In these last weeks, we are emphasizing outreach and visibility, including some advertising. Keep those dollars flowing!
Make checks payable to Advocates for Hoffman, mail to or drop off at 5018 Rainier Ave. S., Seattle, WA 98118. Online donations accepted here.
Until next week!